Health education helps students and communities improve their health by increasing health knowledge.
- You have the right to free public education.
- You have the right to health education in DCPS public and public charter schools.
- If you are a K-12 student in Wards 7 and 8, you have the right to violence prevention education.
- If you attend a school with at least 50% of the student population, you have the right to oral health (dental) education.
- You have the right to request health and sexuality education delivered by the Department of Health. More information here.
Things you should know
The DC Department of Health’s Community Health Administration (CHA) sponsors health education programs for students.
The Department of Health also provides parents of children aged 0-5 parenting education in the parent’s own homes. For more information contact (202-442-5925).
The Office of State Superintendent of Education passed new Health Standards in April 2016. These standards include a clear and age-appropriate approach to teaching essential health topics that impact District students.
Here are more places where you can learn about equal education:
2016 Health Education Standards
Department of Health – Health Education
Here’s where you should go, if you are having issues with:
If you want to get involved in our fight for an equal education: