- You have the right to whole, primarily unprocessed, high-quality, natural foods which are prepared and presented in an appetizing manner at your DC public school.
- Low income students have the right to free or reduced-price lunch.
- You have the right to give input about your school lunch quality.
- You have the right to request special foods if you have special dietary needs (like food intolerances, allergies)
What is healthy school food?
Things you should know
More than 75 percent of students can get lunch for a free or reduced price. School breakfast, after school snack, and after school supper meals are absolutely free for ALL DCPS students. This means that when a lot of students could get food for free, many choose not to. It’s important to let people know why you aren’t eating that food. You don’t have to be spending your money on food, since the school should provide good-tasting and healthy food. It’s important that people know why you aren’t eating that food, so that things can change.
Here are more places where you can learn about equal education:
- Healthy School’s Act
- DC’s Free Summer Meal’s Program
- Find Summer Meals in Your Community
- DC’s Kids Café
Here’s where you should go, if you are having issues with:
If you want to get involved in our fight for an equal education: